4. Aims and Objectives
- To provide the appropriate theoretical background for practitioners to undertake intravenous injections
- To allow practitioners to develop clinical expertise in intravenous injection procedures
On completion of the course of study the practitioner will be able to:
- discuss the role of the practitioner in the administration of intravenous injections
- demonstrate the professional and medico-legal implications of this role
- draw up criteria under which practitioners may undertake intravenous injections
- demonstrate the ability to assess risk groups and profile the patient for suitability for intravenous injection by the practitioner
- negotiate and implement departmental protocols for the administration of intravenous injections by practitioners
- demonstrate understanding of the pharmacological and physiological principles of medicines administered in clinical practice
- explain and undertake the procedure of intravenous substance administration
- explain and implement the safety precautions associated with intravenous administration
- recognise and deal appropriately with any adverse reaction to intravenous administration.
- evaluate and assess the procedure of administering intravenous injections.