Section menu

You are here

Return to practice

Information in this section is for radiographers who were at one time registered with Health and Care Professions Council (or Council for Professions Supplementary to Medicine) in the past and who have lapsed registration. To work as a radiographer in the UK or indeed to use the title radiographer you must be registered with the Health and Care Professions Council.

Opportunity for Return to Practice Diagnostic Radiographers January 2016

The University of Derby has just achieved CoR approval for a module of study aimed at diagnostic radiographers wanting to return to practice. Places on the course are being funded initially by Health Education East Midlands and access to midlands based clinical placements is also available. Further information is available here: Students from further afield are welcome to apply as the learning is flexible and not reliant on being Derby based although a department will be required to provide the clinical support. Prospective returnees should contact Sue Errett, Module Leader, directly at email, telephone: 01332 593068

In addition, as part of the 'Allied Health Professions: Supporting Return to Practice across the East Midlands' initiative, five radiographer returner posts are being funded in the region. Click here for more information.

Return to practice update

Did you know...Radiographers are still classed as a shortage profession on the Government's shortage occupation list?  Are you struggling to recruit radiographers with a good understanding of how your department works?  Have you thought about supporting a returnee?

Every month prospective returnees contact the SCoR. They all tell the same tale; universally they are being turned down for clinical refresher support. For some, this is the end of their career for without a clinical placement they can’t return to the HCPC register. 

For others, they do persevere, sometimes over several years, and eventually manage to find someone somewhere who will allow them access to their department and support to regain their skills. All of these people have a commitment to the profession and a desire to use the skills gained at NHS expense to continue benefitting patients. They are generally mature and committed individuals who are willing to travel significant distances and accept the financial impact of an honorary contract just to ‘get back’.

Currently, there are diagnostic and therapy radiographers seeking support. They all demonstrate a level of commitment and personal drive that would enhance any department. 

I would be very happy to discuss with any managers how the HCPC requirements for Return to Practice work and how the SCoR can provide some support. Please contact me if you think you could help support a trainee. Can you afford not to?

International applicants

If you do not hold a UK qualification in radiography and have never been on the Register with the Health and Care Professions Council (HCPC) or its predecessor the Council for Professions Supplementary to Medicine (CPSM), you will need to apply to the HCPC through the international route. See

Please note that the readmission route for returners is only available for UK qualified radiographers.

Return to Practice in Ultrasound

The SCoR has produced useful information about ultrasonographers returning to practice, which can be accessed by clicking here.

Content tools

Accessibility controls

Text size