Doc menu

10. Formal approach

10.1 If your problem persists, you can make a formal written complaint. You will need to follow your educational institution or practice placement site policy for this, so it is important you speak to someone from your educational institution first to make sure you are going through the right process. Your complaint statement needs to be clear and objective, and include the following:

Full details of what has been happening, as per the written record you have been keeping The effect the situation is having on you, your academic studies and your practice placement experience

Previous attempts to resolve the problem informally Any supporting information or additional evidence

Your written complaint should then be registered formally with the appropriate person (according to the bullying and harassment policy being followed). The complaint should then be investigated quickly by the educational institution or practice placement provider. You may have to attend an interview. If so, it is important that you attend as it may influence your case. If the date and time given for the interview is not convenient, you have the right to negotiate for another appointment, and you can take a representative with you.

10.3 The investigator may decide:

There is no case to answer and further action is not justified. The reason for the decision should be made clear to you. The matter could be resolved through mediation. If this is acceptable to you, the other party will be informed and discussions will be held to rebuild relationships

Disciplinary action is appropriate, in which case there may be a disciplinary hearing, and the bully or harasser may be given a warning prior. Further incidents could lead to dismissal from the workplace or course of study.

If you are unhappy with what is decided, talk to your representative for information on what you can do.

Content tools

Accessibility controls

Text size