Doc menu

12.2. Links and Resources for Educators


Radiography educators generally work in the higher education (HE) sector as Lecturers, Senior Lecturers, Principal Lecturers and Lecturer Practitioners. Their roles encompass the development and delivery of education programmes for assistant practitioners and pre-registration programmes. They also support continuing professional development from level 6 to doctoral level study.

SCoR links:

Policy and Guidance Document Library contains a variety of documents and by selecting ‘education accreditation’ on the topics option, the most relevant documents can easily be found.

Education and Professional Development Strategy: New Directions

Code of Conduct and Ethics

The Scope of Practice 2009

Clinical Supervision Framework

Quality Standards for Practice Placements

Improving Student Retention: Guidelines and Good Practice

Education and training opportunities:

As a minimum, new entrants into HE normally require a Masters level qualification. A postgraduate qualification in learning and teaching in higher education, such as a Postgraduate Certificate, will generally be required but is often offered to new entrants by their employers.

Post-registration courses

Short courses and study days


e-learning including CORe-learning and e-learning for healthcare

Information on clinical specialisms can be found on the following website:

Pages exist for radiotherapy, X-ray, radiation protection, ultrasound, cross-sectional imaging, nuclear medicine and reporting. Hot topics include clinical specialisms that are currently undergoing considerable change; information management and technology and children.

Other links:

The Higher Education Academy (HEA)
This is the national body for enhancing learning and teaching in higher education. It provides services to the whole sector, individuals, subject groups, disciplines and managers and has a useful Resources Centre.

The Leadership Foundation for Higher Education is committed to developing and improving the management and leadership skills of existing and future leaders of Higher Education and offers a wide range of programmes.

The Quality Assurance Agency for Higher Education (QAA) is the body that safeguards quality and standards in HE. The agency publishes a range of guidance documents including subject benchmarks and the Quality Code.

The government department responsible for higher education in England is Business, Information and Skills (BIS)

The UK's higher education funding councils distribute public money for teaching and research to universities and colleges in England, Wales and Scotland. Higher Education in Northern Ireland is funded through The Department for Employment and Learning. At the present time, funding for pre-registration radiography education is channelled through the health authorities.

Department of Health (England)

Health in Wales

NHS Scotland

Health and Social Care in Northern Ireland

Skills for Health

(All links accessed Nov 2012)

Content tools

Accessibility controls

Text size