Preventing serious internal injuries from ingesting small magnets in children

Office for Product Safety & Standards campaign to prevent dangers with magnets

Published: 30 March 2021 Campaigns

The Office for Product Safety & Standards (OPSS) is raising awareness to prevent serious internal injuries in children and teenagers by swallowing small magnets.

The campaign advises care givers how to prevent injuries and what to do if magnet ingestion is suspected. 

If there is any suspicion of ingesting magnets immediately call 999 or take the person to A&E. 

If the child has been playing with magnets and is experiencing stomach pain, vomiting or fever it could indicate that they’ve swallowed magnets. 

To avoid ingestion keep small or loose magnets away from children. Speak with older children about the dangers of playing with magnets near or in their mouths including swallowing them. 

The guidance is supported by The Royal Society for the Prevention of Accidents, the Chartered Trading Standards Institute, and the Child Accident Prevention Trust.

Follow #MagnetSafety for more information messages from OPSS.

You can read more about OPSS launches magnet safety campaign on