How SoR members can find support through financial difficulty

The SoR Benevolent Fund is a charity that exists to help members, former members, and their dependents with advice and financial assistance

Published: 04 January 2024 Charity

The Society of Radiographers Benevolent Fund is a charity that aims to provide debt advice and financial assistance to both current and former members, as well as their dependents.

Members in need of help can apply for this aid online, and members interested in supporting the Benevolent Fundcan donate through the online portal.

In order to be eligible, applicants must be a member of the SoR, including student members, a former member, or financially dependent on a former member. 

Applicants must also have capital or savings no higher than the Department for Work and Pensions limit (£16,000).

Help through redundancy, disability and accident

Should these criteria be met, the fund provides support for those undergoing financial hardship through redundancy, unemployment, illness, bereavement, disability or accident, for example.

The Benevolent Fund normally makes one-off grants for specific items that cannot be funded from another source such as equipment, or support with household bills for a specified period.

There is no fixed limit on the level of awards made. However, trustees have to bear in mind the small size of the fund and the need to match grant expenditure to the resources available. 

Each application is judged on its merit. It depends on the nature of the financial need, income and other circumstances. Applications are more likely to be accepted if they identify a specific item which would greatly alleviate the current situation.

Such items could include:

  • Aids for temporary or permanent disability e.g. orthopaedic bed, electronic magnifier, stair lift, car adaptation
  • Essential building repairs (after all other avenues have been pursued through local authorities e.g. Care and Repair scheme)
  • Electrical/gas appliances
  • Funeral costs
  • Body repatriation (where adequate insurance is not in place)

To apply for assistance please complete the application form.

Household bills driven higher

You can download the document, complete the relevant fields and then save and return it to us via email at [email protected]. If you have any questions regarding the application please call our helpline on 0800 0778371 and speak with one of our advisors.

The Benevolent Fund is run in partnership with Hope 4U, a financial assistance advisory organisation that delivers support to individuals and families nationwide.

Working in partnership with Hope 4U means its support can be offered to SoR members who may be experiencing a difficult time because of illness, accident or misfortune. 

The current cost of living crisis, as well as the increase in work from home, has driven household bills far higher than in previous years. Hope 4U’s Ask Bill service offers free and impartial help to people needing financial advice, with the goal of making it as easy as possible to get support with money and live a sustainable home life.

The Benevolent Fund is governed by the Charity Commission and must operate within certain rules – it cannot support or replace diminished income on a long term basis, and income assistance cannot be given if this would affect an applicant’s entitlement to state benefits.

All applicants must provide evidence that they are in receipt of (or have applied for) their full entitlement to statutory benefits before the provision of financial assistance can be considered. Applicants under the retirement age not working or seeking work must produce verification of their inability to work. In certain circumstances, the trustees may seek a supporting statement from a relevant source e.g. local SoR representative or employer.

Find out more about the SoR Benevolent Fund here. 

(Image: D3sign/Getty Images)