The Society of Radiographers is asking members to write to their local MP to tell them why the 1% cap on public sector pay should be lifted by the Chancellor.
The impact of the pay cap has been felt by members, who have seen their purchasing power decrease by around 14% over the last few years.
Although the next pay increase is not due until April 2018, it is essential that pressure is put on MPs of all parties NOW so that the changes can be included in the next budget.
The Society aims to lobby the government so that:
- UK pay rates for members in Northern Ireland catch up with colleagues elsewhere.
- Pay increases at least in line with inflation, with an additional payment that begins to make up what members have lost during the years of austerity.
To make sure your view is heard, it’s imperative as many members write to their MP as possible.
- You can either write your own message (for example, members in Northern Ireland may want to include something about not receiving a pay increase for three years), or use the template text. If you are using the template, you can find your MP’s email address here: http://www.parliament.uk/mps-lords-and-offices/mps/
- Download the template text by clicking here (Microsoft Word), or via the downloads at the bottom of this page.
- If you want to customise the text to add your own message about pay and how it has affected you, enter your postcode in the box below, click go, fill out your details and paste in your message. Please don’t use the template letter for this option; it won’t go to your MP because the site blocks it. Messages that talk about your personal experience are more likely to be read and responded to by your MP and their team.
Thanks for your support!
Find out more about why the SoR is campaigning on pay.