Who we are
Founded in 1920, The Society of Radiographers is the trade union and professional body for those working in clinical imaging, ultrasound, nuclear medicine, radiotherapy and oncology in the UK.
We are responsible for their professional, educational, public and workplace interests.
As a member-led organisation, we have three core areas:
- Governance: Our UK Council sets the strategic direction for the Society, and profession. This group of elected members, including a student observer, is led by the presidential team.
- Representation: We have over 1000 local representatives, elected national councils and committee volunteers (including students) helping us achieve our objectives.
- Professional Support: Our staff are dedicated to supporting our members and transforming our strategy into reality.
What we do
We help our members by:
- lobbying government
- looking after your educational and workplace interests
- providing advice and representation when needed
- developing authoritative guidance on all areas of practice
- funding research grants, awards, conferences and event programmes
We have a great range of benefits for those who join the SoR. These include:
- Opportunities to lead by being a Student Forum Rep, Student Council Observer, Equalise member or joining the SoR Ambassadors Programme
- Access to our downloadable policy and professional guidance document library
- Access to professional magazines, specialist journals (including the international Radiography Journal) and monthly ezines
- Dedicated expert support, help and advice
- Access to a range of bursaries, research grants, awards and prizes
- Reflective learning opportunities via an exciting programme of conferences, events, webinars, podcasts and recorded lectures covering educational, professional, equality and wellbeing topics
- Free CPD Now tool to help you build your CPD portfolio
- Opportunities to join special interest groups (SIGs), advisory groups and editorial boards to expand your knowledge, contribute and influence the direction of the profession
- Professional Indemnity Insurance (PII) for Student Clinical Placements (conditions apply)
- Access to the benevolent fund
To explore these benefits in detail, please see here.
The SoR is here to support you throughout your studies and at all stages of your career. For just the price of a coffee (£3.75!) per month, you can join the world’s leading organisation dedicated to empowering radiography
professionals at the heart of patient care.
To view our current membership fees, please click here.
To learn more about our membership package, watch the video below:
Joining is easy, especially if you are a first year student because membership won't cost you a bean, as we give you the first year for free!
If you are studying at one of the following institutions, your membership is actually free for the entirety of your course:
- Bangor University
- Cardiff University
- De Montfort University
- Keele University
- Sheffield Hallam University
- St George's, University of London
- University of Bradford
- University of Salford
To join or activate a free membership, please use our online form.
If you have any questions, have a chat with our membership team:
0207 740 7200 | [email protected]