Section menu

You are here

Help and advice

If you are struggling with debt or have difficulty in managing your finances there are a number of organisations that provide free, confidential and impartial advice which could help you.

Citizens Advice

For advice and information on debt and other topics. Local address in phone book or go to

Money Advice Service

For free, unbiased and easy to access money tools, information and advice visit or phone 0300 500 5000

Stepchange Debt Charity

Provides free and anonymous advice over the phone and online. They provide debt management advice and other debt solutions. Phone 0800 138 1111 or visit

National Debtline

Provides a free, confidential and independent helpline for people with debt problems. They give expert advice over the telephone and via email, and will send you a free self-help information pack.

Phone National Debtline free on Tel 0808 808 4000 or visit

Debt Advice Foundation

A registered national debt advice charity offering free, confidential support and advice to anyone worried about loans, credit and debt. Expert advice is available via a free telephone helpline or online. Phone 0800 043 40 50 or

Christians Against Poverty (CAP)

A national debt counselling charity with 205 centres based in local churches across the UK. See


Is an advice organisation that provides free, confidential and independent advice over the phone and online. Phone free on 0800 280 2816 or visit


Member centres offer debt advice. See

Debt Action Northern Ireland Service

If you live in Northern Ireland visit

Money Advice Scotland

If you live in Scotland, phone 0141 572 0237 or visit

Employers’ assistance schemes

Provides professional support to staff. The schemes/programmes provide staff with a free and confidential helpline, access to advice, information and counselling support where required. These services are designed to help staff deal with a range of problems either at work or in their personal lives and can be access through HR departments.


Can help you check your entitlement if you are: Unemployed and looking for work, or have disabilities, in work and on a low income, caring for someone, etc..

Content tools

Accessibility controls

Text size